Sunday, June 11, 2017

365 Days of Defiance, Day 162: They're the Kids in America

Young teen gangs! Is there anything they can't do? Remember: they were responsible for the formation of The Avengers! But we won't hold that against 'em.


Panels from the Black Widow story "The Widow and the Militants!" in Amazing Adventures #3 (November 1970), script by Gary Friedrich, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Bill Everett, letters by Artie Simek

These teen titans marvelous minors have squatted in a building owned by a corrupt politician, in order to turn it into a food center for the poverty-stricken neighborhood. And despite threats from all directions, they're going to stand their ground!


Defiance! It smells like Teen Spirit! But will Nastasha, who has her hands pretty full right at the moment, rush to help bless the beasts and the children? We'll find out next issue, next post, next Bull-Channel, tomorrow!

5 comments:

Daniel said...

These panels are not from the issue credited, but from the following issue, #3, "The Widow and the Militants!", written by Gary Friedrich, but art by Gene Colan and Bill Everett and letters by Artie Simek.

Jack Feerick said...

I was gonna say, that art looked a LOT like Gene Colan. Good catch!

Daniel said...

I have the original comic. This scan doesn't do justice to that beautiful Colan/Everett art. Is this the way it appears in the "Sting of the Widow" collected edition?

Bully said...

You're right! I'll fix it when I get home. I accidentally copied it from the previous day's post from issue #2. I appreciate the eagle eye!

And yes, this is the recolored digital edition. I don't always care for the bright recoloring but I will admit Marcel's digital editions have allowed me to get a lot more back issues than I've ever had!

Blam said...

Well, I'm happy that it turned out to be Colan, because I was doubting everything I ever believed. Or doubting that I knew what John Buscema vs. Gene Colan figures looked like, anyway, so there might have been a little hyperbole there.